Monday, May 09, 2011

Okra... raw

Hey, psst...

Wanna try some okra?

It was a vendor at the Marietta Square Farmer's Market, asking if my fiancée and I wanted to sample the okra that he was hocking.

I was completely befuddled.  You can eat it raw?

Yes, they're delicious.

And they were.  A mix between that initial crunch of a baby carrot and the crisp celery, with a bit of the sticky, seedy insides that I was already familiar with.

And that's the story of how I became an addict of crack okra, raw.


Are my fiancé and I the last to know that you can eat raw okra?  Is this one of those things that all Southerners know and just have never shared with us Northerners?  If so, you guys are selfish bastards.  The stuff is a simple, delicious delight.

2 comments:

  1. In Fact the best thing to eat them will be following this receipe at home.
    I wish there was resturant who could serve this dish.
    _http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/bhindi-masala.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny. Perhaps you should compile these "southern secrets" and write a book.

    ReplyDelete