Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lulu's on Main : Sylva, North Carolina

My parents, fiancé and I visited the Smoky Mountains for a long weekend awhile back.  We ended up wandering around Main Street of Sylva and randomly selecting Lulu's on Main to eat for a dinner.

I've unfortunately lost my notes on this place and I just do not remember my impressions on any of the dishes, except the one I got.

Service was fairly friendly. And the name, colors and interior had the feel of a slightly whimsical, local favorite (if that's not already apparent from the name).

Pecan Encrusted Catfish

Salmon Mojitos Plantanos

Raspberry Rum Pork Loin (?)


Tropical Pork Tenderloins - Pineapple chutney - There are a lot of restaurants that get a lot of local love for trying to do something slightly different than surrounding restaurants, yet miss on execution.  That's how I could see this dish in particular being received.  The pork was overcooked and a bit on the tougher side, the chutney somewhat expectedly overly sweet and the black beans and rice, just rather miserable, the beans overcooked and grainy and both the rice and beans luke-warm.


My Dad was happier with the catfish, while my Mom and fiancé had more muted reactions to the salmon and raspberry pork respectively.

Given that this was a random pick, I suppose we could have done worse, but if I were to choose again, I would have chosen a different restaurant.

Lulu's on Main
612 West Main Street Sylva, NC 28779-5449 (Map)
(828) 586-8989
lulusonmain.com‎

No comments:

Post a Comment