Monday, April 18, 2011

Yellow Watermelon

It's beginning to get consistently warm here in Atlanta and I'm craving watermelon.  And I'm looking forward to being able to continuing my exploration of different varieties of watermelons.

I showed the same pictures in the post on the State Farmer's market, but I wanted to focus on it a bit here.  I really don't know what the name of this variety is.  As you can see from the photo below, the rind does not have that dark green striped appearance.  Rather it has a very light green solid going all around.


Furthermore the flesh inside is a nice bright Charlie Brown-shirt yellow.


Flavor-wise, this is really fascinating stuff.  Its initial flavor has a sweetness very similar to a honeydew or a cantaloupe, but then it transitions into the more juice/water taste, more associated with uhh, the standard watermelon variety (is it stars & stripes?).  It's also slightly mealier than the red watermelon variety I'm used to.

I can't say that my craving pertains to this exactly, but I think varieties like this get my creative juices going a bit.  Imagine a fruit salad with a few different varieties of watermelon or using this to in some entrees...

No comments:

Post a Comment