Monday, March 21, 2011

Leopold's Ice Cream : Savannah, GA

After spent most of our time on the beach in Hilton Head and Tybee Island, we spent our remaining few hours in the area in Savannah.   Fortunately, during that short period of time, the weather was fantastic and more importantly, ideal for eating some ice cream and there was a local ice cream shop.

Leopold's has some decent quality ice cream and boatloads of history, which you can read about here.




Rum bisque, Cream soda Float
Yeah, you can reread the flavor combination of that one more time.  And yes, it was a pick your flavor combination, not a preset one.

Our choice of rum bisque and cream soda float was not the greatest, but the rum bisque ice cream was rather good.  I'm not exactly sure why it's called a bisque; it had little chunks in it with a texture similar to that of the cookie batter chunks, except with a rum flavor to them.  I mean how could you go wrong with mini chunks of alcohol flavor?  (Hmm, am I sounding like too much of an alcoholic here?)




Rum Raisin - I strangely wasn't as much of a fan of the rum raisin, in that the raisins seemed too sweet when paired up with the rum flavor.

Pistachio - But the pistachio ice cream.  In 2007, we by chance, visited a small ice cream shop in Spain since it had a small line of customers queuing out the door.  I inherited a liking for nuts from my Dad and by chance opted for the pistachio ice cream.

The natural flavor pistachio came through the ice cream and was complemented, not overshadowed by hints of creaminess and sweetness in the ice cream.

For a long time, I thought this had ruined pistachio ice cream for me.  (And puhleasse, if you're reading my blog [all two of you], I know you have that special foodie memory too, where some dish blew your mind and set a new standard to which you would compare other versions.  Don't deny it.) 

This was the first time I have had pistachio ice cream in the U.S. that I have actually liked.  A very nice balance of initial natural pistachio flavor, then followed up by a creamy flavor. Very satisfying stuff.



I am guessing there was more to Savannah to explore, but I am happy we at least got some good ice cream.

Leopold's Ice Cream
212 East Broughton Street Savannah, GA 31401 (Map)
(912) 234-4442
www.leopoldsicecream.com‎

No comments:

Post a Comment