Monday, January 24, 2011

China Kitchen (南北合) : Atlanta

I was surprised to hear that Atlanta technically had a Chinatown.  It just was not like Chinatowns in other cities, where there was a multi-block sections of the city; rather it was a building.

I think it's a far stretch to call this a Chinatown.  It's more apt to call it an Asian mall, complete with Asian stores and a food court, rather like the Golden Shopping Mall in Flushing or any of the plazas in LA, SF or Toronto.


The food court consists of 6 vendors, positioned in an L-shape.  Below are the vendors shot in order (and missing the last one, a butcher, hocking bbq pork and duck and the like)




I ended up just selecting one of the vendors at random, China Kitchen.  They had a fairly extensive menu, all in Chinese (although I seem to recall they may have had English take-out menus)



Hong Shao Beef Noodle Soup (红烧牛肉) - Not bad, but nothing special.  Beef could have been more tender and I wish that the noodles were hand-made, but alas. (Oh how I miss Nanzhou Handmade Noodle House these days.)


Pan fried Dumplings (水煎包) - I did not realize that the noodle bowl or the dumplings were going to be such big portions.  Needless to say, I took all but one of these home with me.  Like the beef noodle soup, these weren't bad, but not something to use up any exclamation points over.


I am looking forward to the next time I can get down here to see if we can figure out whether there are other vendors and/or particular dishes that are must-orders.


China Kitchen (南北合)
Atlanta Chinatown
5381 New Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30341-2842 (Map)
(770) 458-6660

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I have a blog for the Philadelphia area called Wing Quest, the goal of which being to find the best wings in Philadelphia. I was just curious as to what it would take to have our blog featured on your site or even just a link shout out. We would be more than glad to return the favor. Our web address is Wingquest2011.blogspot.com

    Thanks!
    -WQ

    ReplyDelete