Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pain d'Epis : Paris, France

My fiance and I had decided to go for the cliche but still absolutely lovely picnic on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower.

We had a pang of the sentimentality for our first trip to Paris, which we took not so long after we first started dating, and decided to go to the nearby bakery that we hit up before our visit to the Eiffel Tower then, Pain d'Epis.


Funnily enough, the thought that strikes me now is that I used my "I don't know French, but will try my best French accent" attempt both times at this bakery, years apart.


We sprung for one of the breads, recommended in a guidebook and really enjoyed it.

Fougasse - lovely lovely bread - just a pleasure in texture, reminding me slightly of the give in fresh mozarella.


We also went for this dessert pastry below, which I forgot to write down the name of, but which was memorable, because visually, all I could think of was one thing when I looked at it.


Do you have the same association?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Relish, right?

And then after staring it a bit, perhaps you're kind of seeing the hot dog there too.

But then think of the cognitive dissonance of having a pastry that looks like a hotdog with relish, while relaxing in front of the Eiffel tower.  And have it taste nothing like a hotdog.

Here's a photo of the Eiffel Tower if it helps you imagine:


In fact, it was a pistachio flavored slightly sweetened glaze on top of an eclaire, which was solid and very light.  But my demented mind only can remember the relish hot dog association.

While I am at it, it has nothing to do with Pain d'Epis, but we also picked up a few other things on a nearby super market, all of which we also enjoyed at our mini picnic.   I am a huge fan of half-decent smoked salmon, so I think I gobbled down 3/4 of the package before thinking.  I wanted to also point out the Michel et Augustin yogurt drink, which against my expectations for a yuppy-esque drink, was surprisingly good.


Anyhow, it's really hard to go wrong with a nice picnic in front of the Eiffel with your significant other, but good food always makes it nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment