Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ladurée : Paris, France

I think had there not been an ongoing festival (I think some sort of garden / arbor day like event where they were showcasing different trees and plants and what not), it might have felt a bit surreal snacking at Ladurée, particularly at the Champs-Elysées location, where it is neighbored by numerous high-end luxury shops.  

Of course, leave it to me to be in a t-shirt (bright yellow) and jeans that day.

Ladurée is a high-end cake and pastry shop, mostly known for their macarons and my fiance was excited to try it out.


(Random lady in the photo.  Not my fiance)


A long counter, full of macarons and pastries and a doubly long line of people waiting to order macarons for take-out.


The two page menu they have outside did no justice to the novel of a menu that they provide, dining inside.  I think it may have been 10 pages of small print.  Literally.


Assortiment de Choux du Petit prince
Given that I knew my fiance would order some sort of macaron and that there were a few pages dedicated towards puff pastries, I sprung for a puff pastry assortment, made up of: Rose Framboise, tradition, pistache, Cassis violette.  This did not turn out to be the wisest choice, since while well-executed, all of the flavors came off as pretty standard.




Raspberry macaroon
On the other hand, what my fiance ordered was very, very nice.  A thicker macaroon than Pierre Marcoloni (of Brussels, oops to be covered a little later) with slightly more of that wonderful macaroon crunch and sparkle that reminds me of cotton candy in its ephemeralness.   It turns out that I'm actually not that big of a fan of macarons for that reason, but admittedly, this was some fantastic stuff.



Ladurée is one of those must-tries, when you are in Paris.  Even if you are not enamored with macarons, like myself, it still is some good stuff.

Ladurée Champs-Elysées
75 Avenue des Champs Elysées Paris 8ème
Tel. : + 33 1 40 75 08 75
www.laduree.fr

1 comment:

  1. I love desserts so badly. These look just amazing. Regards from Hotel CDG

    ReplyDelete