Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Haru Ichiban : Duluth

A bad poem for you:

I had a craving,
so I posted on Chow,
asking for ramen shops worth raving.

Biskuit said Haru Ichiban was not quite a wow,
but still worth going to,
and so I went, over-ordered and now I feel like a cow.

Tada!

Okay, okay, I'll keep to my dry, uninformed, overly-critical opinion of places.  After all, that is what draws my whopping two readers to my blog (Hi to myself! Hi to my imaginary dog!).

Clearly, I am drunk and it's the middle of the week.


Anyways, Haru Ichiban is in a strip mall.  Inside, it was surprisingly brightly lit from the windows, but besides that the aesthetics of the place weren't that different than so many other sushi places I've seen.

Here is a random picture of a cup that I was inexplicably possessed to photograph.


As for the food, it was solid, but as I mentioned I over-ordered.

Yakitori - Hmm, I wouldn't order this again. While it's not bad, it just seems like it's meat, onions, red peppers marinated in tepanyaki sauce and grilled a bit. Nothing compared to the yakitori at Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna.


Special Ramen - Topped w/ extra pork, egg, assorted seaweed
Tonkotsu - Creamy pork broth w/ light soy sauce
- The pork was by far the best of this bowl: delicious, fatty, succulent, melt in your mouth.  The rest of the ingredients were just above average. The egg poached, but not quite liquidy any more. Bamboo shoots nicely placed on top so they wouldn't cook and become limp, but which forced them to be simply luke warm. My main complain about this was that I just was not quite seeing how all of these ingredients really worked together.  There was no layering of flavors on top of each other; rather, it just seemed like a random mix of ingredients. The broth itself was decent, it not being that fatty, which I suppose is good or bad depending on your perspective.


I probably have to give another of their ramen bowl a shot and skip the yakitori, but from just this experience,  aside from the marvelous pork pieces, I am not all that motivated to return.

Haru Ichiban
3646 Satellite Boulevard, Duluth, GA‎ (Map)
(770) 622-4060
www.haruichibanjapaneserestaurant.com

No comments:

Post a Comment