Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thai Star : Atlanta

Well, this is one of the better Thai restaurants I have been to.  Granted, I have never been to Thailand and I've never actively seeked out the best Thai restaurants when I've visited NY, SF or LA, so I suppose one should take the former statement with a grain of salt.


That being said, I think what really makes all of the dishes that I have tried here are that the ingredients are fresh and they do a damn fine job of executing.   Just by how tender the chicken and the seafood has been and how nuanced some of the sauces have been, you can just tell there's someone in the back that really cares about this stuff.

Spring roll - perhaps the standard insides, but freshly fried and served with a sauce that had an slight interesting (fishy?) turn, that reminded me of an authentic Asian sauce.

Pad kee mao - Rice noodles fresher than most and the chicken actually cooked with some care, so that it's not the standard tossed-off dry, mealy chicken in a stir-fry.

Pad Thai - Rice noodles were not the dry pasty noodles you usually get, but seemingly recently soaked.  Very decently cooked chicken and a fresh slice of lime.


Shrimp lover - Seafood and chicken nicely cooked. The sauce almost tasting like a seafood bisque, albeit a touch on the sweet side and particularly nice, once you balance it out with some of the hot chili sauce. Rice also nicely cooked as well - yes, this might seem like something odd to notice, but someone in the back is really dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's.



Mango sticky rice - Interesting, the coconut milk soaked rice was not that sweet, particularly compared to all other versions I've had of this. Unfortunately, the mango itself could have been riper, but this was an intriguingly natural tasting and refrained version that didn't leave me completely overly stuffed.


Thai Star Cafe is about a 20 minute drive away from where I live, but something I don't think I will mind once in awhile.  Whether "authentic" or not, any place that cares about the ingredients and execution like this place does will get my business.


Thai Star Cafe
1155 Hammond Drive Northeast, Atlanta, GA‎ (Map)
(770) 817-9800‎
www.goforthai.com

No comments:

Post a Comment