Friday, November 20, 2009

Buttercream Cupcake Truck : Philadelphia

Fries with that Shake's Writeup of the Buttercream Cupcake Truck reminded me that even though it's not a cookie truck (oh man, why not a cookie truck?!?), cupcakes served on wheels are still pretty damn cool and happy inducing, especially for someone with a sweet tooth like me.

So away to Penn campus it was for me at 34th and Walnut, one of their three stops for the time being. (Between their website calendar and their twitter, you should be able to figure where they will stop)

And as Fwts mentions, if you're not already psyched for cupcakes, I'm sure their cute spinkle-covered truck should bring smiles to most people's face.  I must say that it's cool that it was a realization of a crayon drawn idea.



As for the cupcakes, well, I feel sheepish writing about these as my exposure to well-made cupcakes has been extremely limited.  But I suspect they will satisfy most people.



Vanilla w/ vanilla frosting - A fairly hefty, dense cupcake. Vanilla icing has a rich creamy tasting and thick, mouth-filling texture, similar to ricotta cheese in a good cannoli.  (I suspect this is where the buttercream comes into play)   I found the sprinkles to be a nice touch, containing tiny bursts of sweet-tart candy-like flavors, tasting like Nerds? Sweet Tarts? Kids cereal?   I must say that there's a very nice ratio of frosting to cupcake.  My only critique for this was that it was just a bit overwhelming in a sweetness/richness aspect.  Obviously, this was levels above the normally sugary sweet run-of-the-mill cupcake, but I just don't think I would be able to finish this in one go without feeling a bit ill and hell, I've started regularly running again.

Red velvet cake w/ cream cheese - This one struck me as less sweet and pleasingly so.  I think it was that the cupcake here was more neutral-tasting and the frosting not nearly as sweet, with almost a slight tart tinge.  Again, the sprinkles were a nice touch, adding small spurts of non-descript lime candy flavors.  All in all, my gf and I rather liked this one.

I suspect that everyone now and then enjoys/needs a comfort food, one that perhaps takes you back to your childhood.  And when that time strikes, it's absolutely brilliant when someone can execute a well-crafted version, while remaining loyal to that of your childhood vision.  For me, cookies generally bear the brunt of this responsibility, but for someone else, it might be cupcakes and those from the Buttercream truck might just fill that craving quite nicely.


Buttercream Cupcake Truck
Location varies
www.buttercreamphiladelphia.com
twitter.com/buttercreamphl

No comments:

Post a Comment