Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thai Singha House to Go : Philadelphia

In an ideal world I would visit restaurants that I wrote up multiple times, order different dishes and get a feel for the service, food quality on an overall sense rather than on one-time only. But with a limited budget, limited time and an ever growing to-try list of restaurants, I usually just can't.

But I think two visits to Thai Singha House To Go really demonstrate how different a second visit can be from the first.

The first visit was for dinner and I think it surprised my gf and I.  We weren't expecting very much from this place and yet the ingredients seemed to be fresh and things had been cooked at order.

(Btw, no photos for this post.  All of this week's photos have all be embarrassingly crappy quality, but these photos really took the cake in terribleness.  I won't submit you to them.)

Drunken Noodles - Decent wide noodles, with fresh peppers and basil.  Add a good healthy kick and serve it freshly fried up.  It's not stuff to send a postcard to your grandmother about, but it was certainly surprisingly solid for a take-out place.


Pineapple Fried Rice - More of the same.  A surprising use of fresh pineapples instead of canned.  Add decent shrimp and fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers, all recently fried.  Again, this was more than you'd expect from a take-out place.


I visited again during the lunch-time rush and had I only come at this time, this post would have a totally different tone completely.

Pad Thai (lunchtime) - I regretted this as soon as I ordered it.  They scooped the pre-cooked pad thai out of the pan, grabbed some pre-cooked pieces of chicken and boom, my order was served within 10 seconds.  I suppose that this is a necessity of meeting the mad-house lunch-time rush, but the quality suffered enormously and was nowhere close to the decent dinner experience. .

During lunchtime, I did see the cook stir-frying something in the back, so I suppose the strategy for getting a decent meal would be to order something less popular that requires it to be cooked on order.  What that is, I'm not sure, because that would require another visit and I'm pretty sure if I visit again, it'll be for dinner.


Thai Singha House To Go
106 S 20th St Philadelphia, PA 19103-2503
(Map)
(215) 568-2390

3 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with this place during lunch. I got the pad thai as well and it was way too greasy and heavy. Not a good idea when you have to go back to work for the afternoon! I do love Thai food though, so I'll try to get there for dinner sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Thai booth at RTM is unexpectedly delicious - - even if the use of microwave is employed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sarah, give it a shot for dinner. Again, not outstanding stuff, but certainly decent for the price and for a take-out place.

    Anon, I've actually never tried the Thai booth at RTM. Any particular recs for what to order?

    ReplyDelete