Friday, October 16, 2009

Pub & Kitchen : Philadelphia

First and foremost, I'll say that I've come to Pub & Kitchen before for drinks a couple times before and I'm not sure what it is about the place, but I'm rather fond of the overall ambiance and decor there, as well as their beer selection. It's kind of laid-back, but not in the grungier style of Monk's or Good Dog.

Anyhow, I stopped by and picked up a take-out order of their Windsor burger just to see what their food was like.

And finally, I've got a better photo for you than the crap I've tossing you this week:



Windsor burger - homemade bacon and english cheddar
Overall this thing was flavorful if a bit salty for my tastes. Most if not all of the flavor came from the accompaniments and not the beef itself, which for a beef-forward burger type guy, was slightly disappointing. The accompaniments were a dynamic trio of: home-made bacon with its somewhat sharp salted/preserved flavor, the slightly salty yet lingering English cheddar flavor and the intermediary sweet (yet still mysteriously crunchy) caramelized onions. But tasting the beef by itself, it just didn't really taste like much.

As for the fries, they were rather salty and had a good crunchiness. Honestly, if you were to somehow be able to subtract the slight authentically earthy and natural potato flavor from these, I'd be hard-pressed to spot much of a difference between McDonald's fries and these. And I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.

Anyhow, as I've mentioned in the previous post, others have called out this burger as their favorite in Philly and with the quality bacon, cheese and onions, I can see why someone would like this burger. For me, the burger was a bit overly salty and I wanted much more spotlight on the beef, but I'm guessing this won't stop me from returning to Pub & Kitchen for their beer and maybe to try something else.


Pub & Kitchen
1946 Lombard St, Philadelphia, PA‎ (Map)
(215) 545-0350‎
thepubandkitchen.com
($Burgers / Hot Dogs, $Philadelphia)

No comments:

Post a Comment