Friday, October 16, 2009

On burgers...


(For those who don't know, this is the image that launched icanhascheezburger.com)

I was about to post another burger review and was hunting around the web to read others' opinions and was kind of struck by the variety of opinions of the different burgers in Philadelphia.  The Chowhound community overall seems to prefer the Good Dog eponymous burgereGullet's old thread ranges the gamutphoodie proclaims Pub & Kitchen as king and the Burger Club currently also gives it the edge, HollyEats favors Charlie'sJack Frost, & Monk's, and Craig Laban names a number of favorites.

I suppose this makes sense, since of all the foods that Americans eat, I'm guessing burgers may very well be the food that we most frequently eat, from McDonalds and other fast-food joints to summer barbecues to regular 'ol home-cooked dinners.  According to this 2008 Reuters article, 85% of Americans surveyed ate a burger at least once a month.  With all this cumulative experience eating burgers, this would inevitably lead to a variability of strongly-held opinion on the burger.

Dude.  Dude, where is this going?

I think the great thing with a blog is that a reader can easily read old posts and see where my preferences lie in a burger, but just to make it even easier for you, kind reader, I'm going to lay it out explicitly.

When it comes to burgers, I focus first and foremost on the beef patty and I prefer it to be the primary flavor.  With all of the variability that burgers allow for, bun bread choice, choice of cheese, the addition of various ingredients, etc, the beef patty (sorry vegetarians) is the one thing that remains relatively constant and that you can somewhat fairly compare between places.  In addition, having tasted a lovely version of bifteck haché in Paris and having tried my hand at that (Julia Child's recipe), I know how good a ground beef patty can be just by itself.  That doesn't mean I don't care about the other toppings, but to me the toppings are secondary.

I think that may help explain why I really like the Rouge burger and why I prefer Good Dog's traditional burger over its more famous eponymous burger, as well as my opinions on other burgers.  So, if you find that you're not seeing eye-to-eye with my opinions on burgers, it may be that you just value other things more in a burger, like bacon and doughtnuts for example.

Anyways, that's it for now, back to my regularly scheduled posts...

($Burgers / Hot Dogs)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, ハンバーグ (hambagu)...
    How is it that the Japanese always manage to make a good thing even better?

    ReplyDelete