Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Old Nelson Deli : Philadelphia

I've previously mentioned that I enjoy the YoCream frozen yogurt served at Old Nelson Deli, but I wanted to also get it out there that some of their deli selections are quite decent as well.  It's mostly the fact that they seem to use fresher and slightly higher-quality ingredients than one would expect from your standard deli/convenience store.

I mostly stick to the warm sandwiches, which have just stuck out more in terms of tastiness and "huh" factor.

Grilled Chicken, Parmesan, Sundried Tomatoes, Basil Pesto - Served hot, with a good balance of bread, meat and other ingredients and tasty.



Bbq Chicken Breast And Melted Monterey Jack with jalapeno, bacon, chips, sliced onions, romaine, lettuce tomatoon foccacia - same deal as above: good ratios, fresh ingredients, & tasty.   With this one, I particularly like their foccacia bread as well.  Oh and you might want to watch out for raw onions and the accompanying stinky breath.



Chicken Thai Salad asian cabbage, romaine, lettuce, carrots, cucumber, red onion, red cabbage, mandarin orange, cilantro, roasted peanuts, grilled chicken breast mixed in asian sesame dressing - This is mixed on order and not just taken from some fridge. Fresh greens/veggies and sweet mandarin pieces not from a can with gross syrup, flavored peanuts (honey roasted?). The chicken pieces are ok, perhaps lying a little on the alarmingly soft side. And the dressing, a "Asianesque" flavor that's a sweet vinaigrette that's not cloying. And it's big enough for me to eat as a meal.  (Note: I've yet to try any of the other salads, as they don't have meat and I'm guessing I'd be hungry afterwards.  If you have tried them, let me know how it is)



I believe this place is open 24 hours, so I should mention that the good qualities I mention above, well they might not be the most satisfying to a post-drunken customer.  But I imagining the above recommendations might be ideal for the working lunch-time crowd, the late-night working dinner crowd or just the local folk, seeking something relatively light and quick to go.


One more thing worth mentioning, in addition to the deli, they also have some of the fancier chocolates, freshly-cut fruit salads, and various interesting imported snacks.


As with their yogurt, this isn't a destination place, but if you live or work in the area, it's a great little place to have.


Old Nelson Food Market
2000 Chestnut St Philadelphia, PA 19176 (Map)
(215) 496-9777

Also with other locations:
35 S 13th St Philadelphia, PA 19107-3327 (Map)
(215) 569-1719

701 Chestnut St Philadelphia, PA 19106-2300 (Map)
(215) 627-7090

(And two locations in NJ? Not sure if they're the same?)

No comments:

Post a Comment