Thursday, October 01, 2009

Hong Kong Bakery : Philadelphia

I'm coming close to the end of my Philadelphia Chinese bakery roundup. This time, it's Hong Kong Bakery.



Upon entering and looking around, Hong Kong Bakery seemed like an intriguing bakery, in that they didn't care to sell a lot of the "usual" baked buns.

My initial thought was one of hope. Could it be that one of the bakery owners/bakers knew what their strengths were and just concentrated on making those outstanding?

Well, that was a bit of wishful thinking on my part. Overall, there wasn't that level of observable quality evident in the buns at Green Land Tea House. However, their egg tart may very well be my current favorite in Philly.

Egg Tart - The custard is very eggy-tasting (a good thing) and has a nice creamy texture. The crumbly crust has nice slightly burnt sugar edges. Overall this is a very light tart, with refined and balanced flavors.



Raisin Twist - More on the sweet side, lines of sugary bits (like on Mexico Buns), but not overly sweet. Not bad.



Pineapple Bun w/ Lemon curd - The lemon curd was overwhelming, making this taste like a over-simplistic lemon bar. Not really a fan.



?? Biscuit - They actually had a number of varieties off these biscuits, which are similar to lao po bing or wife biscuits (Wikipedia), which I think was part of the reason why I was so excited initially about this place. Unfortunately, I didn't like this so much. It had this a 1/8" thick, rather hard shell that was just difficult to bite through. I couldn't quite figure out what the inside flavor was, but just wasn't thrilled by that either.




Taro filled loaf of bread - The big clod of taro paste in the center of each slice wasn't really doing it for me texture-wise and was a boring in flavor. The bread tasted a bit artificial as if there were additives/preservatives to keep it moist or fresh longer. Not a fan at all of this.




Cream Bun - Okay, shrug. Nothing that different than the usual.



Sesame ball - Hrmm. Don't have any notes or memories on this.



I'm always a bit saddened when my expectations aren't met; it's always a joy when you come across a new place and it surprises you in good ways. While I did very much enjoy their egg tart, I was hoping for a new favorite Chinese bakery in Philly and HK Bakery didn't come close in that respect.

For the other Chinese bakeries in Philadelphia, check out my roundup.


Hong Kong Bakery
917 Race St Philadelphia, PA 19107-1805 (Map)
(215) 925-1288
($Bakery, $Chinese, $Philadelphia)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete