Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Chayote recipe?

I picked up this strange little green fruit thing in Chinatown, not knowing what it was. It looks like a cross between a pear and a mango from the top...





...but then you turn it around and see this grumpy frown.



After a bit of searching, I figured out that it's called a chayote or in Chinese, 佛手瓜 (Buddha hand melon). (Wikipedia)

I ended up just stir-frying it with some salt and pepper and it didn't have much flavor to it, perhaps like a faded pear infused winter melon.

Does anyone have a good recipe for chayote?

Also how do I tell whether one of these is ripe or not? And is the soft pit edible?

($Cooking)

3 comments:

  1. hey comradechu

    my dad would always use fo shou gua to make vietnamese spring rolls, which also includes mushrooms, ground beefs, vermicilli and sprimp Mix the ingredients in a bowl, wrap it in rice paper and deep fry it. Then wrap it up in lettuce and dip it in lemon flavored soy sauce. Just describing it is making me hungry even though I already ate.

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, oh man that sounds really good. I'll give it a shot next time I get fo shou gua.

    ReplyDelete
  3. peel, and slice.. the pit is edible
    stir fry with dried shrimps and garlic, soy sauce, salt, sugar, oyster sauce, chinese cooking wine

    make sure to fry up the garlic and dried shrimps first to bring out their flavors. add some water/broth to let it the veggie cook a bit

    ReplyDelete