Tuesday, September 29, 2009

David's Mai Lai Wah : Philadelphia

This is more for posterity than anything else. I checked out David's Mai Lai Wah with my Dad when he was in town so long ago and had a pretty mediocre meal.

I know this place is much beloved for its late-night hours and its ability to serve a post-drinking meal, which this post obviously doesn't address. (Is it even possible to do a decent, coherent review of a restaurant after drinking?)

Also, judging from the demographic there during dinner time, we didn't match that either. Seriously, this may have been the most diverse set of customers I've seen at a Chinese place. The waiters seemed almost embarrassed to be talking Chinese with my Dad.

But that being said, I don't mind decent Americanized Chinese food and I can't really say this did that well either.

Salty Pepper Shrimp - Fried with the heavier Americanized sesame chicken type of batter. Way over-the-top salty for our tastes. The one thing going for it was the fact that it was freshly deep fried.



Stir-fried conch - A so-so rendition.



Shrug, perhaps it was just an off-night or the particular dishes we ordered, but this didn't really do much for me.


David's Mai Lai Wah
1001 Race St # 1 Philadelphia, PA 19107-1802 (Map)
(215) 627-2610
($Chinese, $Philadelphia)

No comments:

Post a Comment