Friday, August 07, 2009

Taipan Bakery (大班餅店) : New York

My gf mentioned that Taipan Bakery sold more authentically Taiwanese buns, so we stopped on by.  The place is fairly large and was bustling when we visited.



While I can see why this place would be so popular, there's a fairly high-level quality of baking (and I imagine consistent) skills to the pastries, overlall the things we ordered just seemed slightly to egregiously too sickly sweet for my taste.

?? Pastry - I don't remember what this was called, but I would not have been able to make through half of this by myself. There was a really sweet custard inside and to kick you while you were down, then the exterior was *covered* *smothered* in confectionary sugar.



Portuguese Egg Custard - I know Portuguese egg custards run sweeter than the normal ones, but this was just slightly too much. It's unfortunate, because there's a really satisfying amount of creamy custard in proportion to the crust, which if less sweet would have been fantastic.



Raisin Bun - Not too different than your standard raisin twist.



Rou Song Bun (Pork Floss) - For some reason, I get a kick out of that translation for Rou Song (Wiki). I don't think I've ever had one of these without feeling a little sick to my stomach, either because it's too sweet, too oily and some combination of both. Looking back, I'm not sure why I order these things, but everytime I see one of these, I get one. Anyways, if you couldn't guess it already, this fit into the slightly too sweet category.



Hmm, so this was a little disappointing. I really wish I had seen this post of Sun Mary Bakery and their freshly made pineapple cakes beforehand, but I suppose that's something to look forward to for whenever I get to visit Flushing next time.


Taipan Bakery (大班餅店)
3725 Main St Flushing, NY 11354-4106
(718) 888-1111
taipan-bakery.com
($Bakery, $Chinese, $Flushing, $NYC)

1 comment:

  1. taipan is not a good bakery. i usually go by century cafe and bakery. check it out http://centurycafe.com

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete