Thursday, June 04, 2009

Toi, Moi & Cafe : Montreal

We ended up randomly finding and eating at Toi, Moi & Cafe because the crepes place we originally wanted to go to was closed, we were starving and this had outdoors seating where we could enjoy the first sunny day of our trip.


Perhaps if I were a coffee drinker I might appreciate their coffee more. As it were, I won't make any particular comments on them.




Yes, I was the one, who ordered the milk. I guess I was hoping that given the French influence that there might be a chance of getting uber-fresh milk, but not so much.


As for the food, it was okay, but nothing anything particularly special that you couldn't get in the states (although you would probably pay more).

La Forestiere - My Dad and I both ordered this omelette with wild mushrooms and asparagus and while it was nice that the mushrooms and asparagus were fresh, it didn't taste anything different than an omelette that I would make at home. And well I'm not that great at omelettes. However, the baked beans were decent (much to the chagrin of my family later on haha) and the baked apple was a unique touch, with a flowery lavender flavoring.


Crepes aux fruits - The crepe itself was so-so, making me wish the crepe place had been open so my Mom could have been properly introduced to a good crepe.


Bagel with Smoked Salmon - This was pretty decent. Decent smoked salmon on a solid bagel. Again, not something you wouldn't be able to get back home.



Shrug. Toi, Moi & Cafe is definitely not a destination place for its food, but it certainly wasn't a bad random find walking by.


Toi, Moi & Cafe
244 avenue Laurier Ouest Montréal, QC H2T 2N8, Canada Map
(514) 279-9599
www.toimoicafe.com
($Brunch, $Canada, $Montreal)

2 comments:

  1. Wow...you're a partucularly special "food enthusiast"....
    This place has the best coffee ever..you're not a coffee drinker so please don't comment!!!..the food is always fresh and appeals to eveyone's taste..it's a café..not a 5-star hotel brunch place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, regarding the coffee, you're right, I'm not a coffee drinker and I've edited my post to reflect it as such.

    However, regarding the food, I wasn't judging the cafe on a 5-star hotel level. A number of my favorite places are down-to-earth ones, which simply cook with a lot of heart and which use fresh ingredients.

    I understand that you probably rather enjoy this cafe; however, do understand where I'm coming from. If a traveler were to visit Montreal for the first time and be looking for great food, this would probably not be one of the first places in Montreal (high-end or not) to be recommended to them.

    ReplyDelete