Thursday, June 25, 2009

Nanzhou Hand-Drawn Noodle House : Philadelphia

Update Jan 18, 2010

So long as the people here keep on cranking out freshly hand-drawn noodles, this place will always remain a bright spot.

Lamb noodle soup - Lamb pieces seem a bit overcooked, but I think I might actually prefer the slightly lighter lamb flavored broth to the heavier beef ones.

Zha jiang mian (炸酱面)- The noodles are accompanied by a simple salty black bean type sauce, which otherwise would make for an unremarkable version, but the fresh noodles just make this so much more scrumptious.


---

Sorry, been away for a few days helping my brother move to North Carolina. I will follow up with some of our meals there, once I get through some of my backlog of places.

I've written about Nanzhou Hand-Drawn Noodle House before and my opinion hasn't changed too much. This place still remains one of my favorites in this fair town of Philadelphia and was one of the restaurants I wanted to take my Dad while he was in town.

I will just point out a couple of random side dishes that my Dad ordered in addition to the lovely noodle soups.

Spicy Pigs Ears - Wow these had a healthy kick to them, but hit the spot. For those who haven't had pigs' ears before, they really don't have much flavor beyond the sauce they've been marinated in and have the texture of a crunchy cartilage. Sometimes they sell pigs ears at the Chinese butcher shops that sell cha shao (Chinese bbq pork) and Roast Duck (I have yet to check at any of the Phili shops though). I can't say that these were that much better than the ones from the butcher shops, but then again I've yet to try a fancy-pants version of pigs ears (if they exist).


Yu-Choy with oyster sauce - The standard way to cook Chinese vegetables. Steamed and taken out before limp, topped with some oyster sauce. This one I suspect most people have had if you're Chinese or eaten with a native. It's always a good sign when a restaurant doesn't mail-in this basic dish.


And if you haven't had their noodle soups, go there now. You're in for a treat.






Nanzhou Hand-Drawn Noodle House
927 Race St, Philadelphia, PA‎ (Map)
(215) 923-1550‎
Yelp
($Chinese, $Philadelphia, $Recommended)

No comments:

Post a Comment