Monday, June 29, 2009

Loie Bistro : Philadelphia

I'm temporarily interrupting my flood of unexciting/uninspired meals with 3 burger entries this week. First up, a post about burgers at Loie Bistro.

I've already talked about Loie previously and I just wanted to re-confirm my thoughts on their burgers, particularly since old posts on Chowhound give it widely mixed reviews.

This was from a meal some time back... And looking at the online menus, it appears that Loie has taken their set burger combos off of their entrees and relegated it to "make your own sandwich" area on the brunch menu only.

Which is too bad. I still maintain my original opinion. I didn't and wouldn't say that the burgers were mind-blowing, but particularly because of the lovely brioche roll, they go down easily.

Cheval Burger - Vermont white cheddar, pickle and fried egg. Has a clean, lighter "yin" flavor. I don't know, I probably wouldn't order this combo again, mainly because generally when I'm in a burger mood, I crave something a little heftier in flavor.


Aussie Burger grilled red onion, apple-wood bacon, pineapple rings and cheddar cheese. I thought this was done pretty well. The pineapple infusing an added sweetness and juiciness to the burger. Oh, and get the sweet potato fries - they were much more enjoyable than the regular fries, which seemed burnt, old and bland.



I'm really not sure why so many people seem to love Good Dog burgers. If it was a choice just between the burgers, I would probably go to Loie. But at the same time, I could see the other food options at Loie, which don't seem to hold up as well (like the steak frites last time and the regular fries this time), detracting any good will that the burgers garner.

Shrug. In either case, neither burger would really come to mind as a something a visitor to Phili would *have* to try. But if you're a resident, it's nice to have these burger choices.


Loie Bistro
128 South 19th Street, Philadelphia, PA‎ (Map)
(215) 568-0808‎
Loie215.com | Yelp
($Burgers / Hot Dogs, $Philadelphia)

2 comments:

  1. I was also disappointed to see the burger menu change. Loie will be missed. The traditional burger at Good Dog, and not the 'Good Dog' burger, is fantastic. I recommend it to all of my out of town visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, thanks for the tip. I'll have to try out the traditional burger at Good Dog next time.

    ReplyDelete