Sunday, June 07, 2009

Le Casse-Crêpe Breton : Quebec City

If you go by the sheer number and simplicity of crepe recipes on the internet, crepes seem and are fairly simple to make.

But like pancakes, it seems to require some time, patience, and trial and error to make a good crepe. With the exception of one particular experience, I've been pretty disappointed by the crepes in the U.S. and needless to say, the crepes that I've tried making have come out pretty terrible. As a result, I was pretty excited to be able to hit up a creperie in Quebec, Le Casse-Crêpe Breton.


Apparently, the place was started by college students and they make the crepes in the center, where all customers can watch.


Tomato Basil Soup - My dad started off things with a tomato basil soup, which had such subtle flavors that we were unable to detect the tomato or the basil.


Ham & Cheese - My main complaint would be that in most parts, the crepe was thin, dry and crunchy, which was not bad per se, but just not what I was expecting. As far as the ingredients, they were very, very light. The ham almost seemed to disappear after putting into your mouth and likewise, the cheese was the complete opposite of heavy and oily. All in all, it was a somewhat strange sensation to be eating this, where you didn't really taste very much or have the sensation of becoming full. I didn't have a major complaint, but I wouldn't exactly call it satisfying eating either.


Roast beef & Mushroom - The rest of the savory crepes were a bit of the same. The ingredients were pretty decent, but also had the dry flakiness of the crepes.


Ham, Egg & Mozzarella - Ditto above.


Chocolate Dessert Crepe - My brother was the sole person to order the sweet crepes and while it wasn't to the degree of my ham and cheese, this was fairly light too. I liked the fact that the chocolate was far from being cloyingly sweet. As far as the taste of the chocolate goes, I would say that it's okay for the price. I wasn't particularly blown away by it and could picture a better quality chocolate, but for the price, wouldn't complain either.


All in all, I'm slightly ambivalent about this place. On one hand, there's a very light hand evident in making these crepes and in the ingredients themselves, which addresses the major problem I've encountered in most crepes that I've tried in the U.S. On the other hand, however, the lightness seems to come at the expense of flavor in some cases and the moist pancake texture. I think the best way to describe this would be that for the price, the crepe and ingredients match up fairly well. I personally would be willing to pay a few more dollars per crepe if it meant that some of my critiques were addressed.

Just as an fyi, there are two other creperies recommended on the Chow boards, Le Billig and Au Petit Coin Breton. If anyone is visiting QC, Le Billig in particular, seems highly respected.


Le Casse-Crêpe Breton
1136 rue St-Jean Québec, QC G1R 1S4, Canada (Map)
(418) 692-0438
($Canada, $French, $Quebec City)

No comments:

Post a Comment