Saturday, March 28, 2009

Piroshky Piroshky : Seattle

What a fabulous name: Piroshky, Piroshky. It elicits such a Russian image. Together with the fact that it's such a tiny place and that there was a constant line in front makes you feel like you've uncovered a hidden gem. A hidden gem that happens to be in front of the massively touristy and popular Pike Place Market... but who's going to be this logical when you've found a "hidden gem?"


I'm not sure if I'll be able to fair on this place. For one, I've never had piroshkies (?) piroshkys? before. And secondly, I had stuffed myself on breakfast an hour prior, so couldn't find room in my stomach to have more than one of their piroshkies. And they have a good number of piroshkies to choose from.


That being said, my experience at Pike Place Market right before biases me towards giving this place a pretty negative impression. Pike Place Market gives me the same detestable tourist trap willies that Quincy Market in Boston gives me. (As a side note, I think that's why I like Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market so much.) And that together with having an unbelievable mediocre crab piroshky just gives me the impression that this place survives on duping unknowing tourists via its prime location alone.


My issue was that the "crab" piroshky was nothing more than crab creme cheese instead of a ordinary greasy pastry stick. My thinking that they might actually make use of the availability of fresh seafood seemed quite disappointedly unfounded.




Piroshky, Piroshky
1908 Pike Pl, Seattle, WA 98101, USA (Map)
(206) 441-6068
Piroshky Bakery | Chow | Yelp

4 comments:

  1. You should try the basic Potato Onion and Cheese next time. You won't regret it. I'm a Seattleite and I've gone there hundreds of times before but never got one with the crab filling. Baked crab just doesn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, anon. I'm not sure when the next time I will be in Seattle is, but I will make a note to myself to give the potato, onion and cheese a shot next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try the Salmon one. I didn't even know they had a crab one and I've been going there for years (also a local). Sounds like you just ordered the wrong one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a nice little place, until Tony Bourdain showed up. They jacked up their prices and cut back on the filling. I was a regular but they got greedy.

    ReplyDelete