Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cow Chip Cookies : Seattle

Last month, I was able to bum around in Seattle for a few days. I've visited the city a couple of times before, but it was interesting this time to be able to concentrate my tourist activities on food related things.

First up, cookies. Hey, what did you expect?

Seattle is a quirky place; I mean why someone would name their bakery, Cow Chip Cookies is a little beyond me. Admittedly, there is the cute factor, but uhh, to state the obvious, you're associating cow dung with something you want to eat.

And their icon just crosses that cute line for me:


Shrug, I suppose I really shouldn't be saying anything, since if a bakery had spectacular tasting cookies, I'd probably champion them even if they were named "I just picked my nose and put my boogers in this cookie" cookies.


Cow Chip - The cow chip is their medium sized chocolate chip cookie. (Their big choco chip cookies are called Bull Chips and their mini versions are called Calf Chips.)

It had a buttery smell to it and was actually surprisingly light, tasting almost like a sugar cookie with added chocolate chips, which actually was a bit disappointing. The cookie just came off as intensely unconfrontational and lacking in personality that made it forgetable.




Horse chip(?) - Oatmeal Raisin - With an offensively artificial cinnamon/nutmeg smell and a taste like the scent of Williams Sonoma or other yuppy upscale stores.




There's something terrifically irritating about a person who tries to be overly politically correct. The same goes for cookies.


Cow Chip Cookies
102A 1st Ave. S. Seattle, WA 98104
(206) 292-9808
www.cowchipcookies.com | Yelp
($Bakery, $cookies, $Seattle)

2 comments:

  1. I love it when people are opionated instead of trying to state the facts when writing a review because, heck isn't that the point of a review? Its your opinion. I really enjoed the write up, but have to ask what is a confrontational cookie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Well, I see a confrontational cookie (and a confrontational dish in general) as being the opposite of comfort food. Whereas with comfort food, it's a familiar taste and you know what to expect, a more confrontational dish brings very unfamiliar/unexpected flavors and textures and doesn't give you very much to rely on. I think it actually goes back to the cook/baker and what their intentions are for the dish. Is it to comfort or to challenge the diner?

    That being said, I think my criticism for the cow chip cookie was that the recipe wasn't overly comfort food oriented. One of my favorite cookies is more comfort-food than not. But rather the cookies comes across as too afraid of offending anyone that it came across as devoid of personality.

    ReplyDelete