Saturday, February 14, 2009

Q.T. Sandwiches : Philadelphia

I think this is the fastest I've responded to a tip before. Yesterday, I read the City Paper's scoop on Q.T. Sandwiches and today I found myself with two Banh Mi's and am posting no less. Someone should give me a gold star or a trip to Hawaii or a cool million dollars or something. Seriously.


They were doing some renovations to the front of Q.T. Sandwiches when my gf and I stopped by. I think they were putting up an awning, but it was little too early to tell for sure.

Anyhow, we ordered a couple of banh mi's: (And for those who don't know what a banh mi is, here's the wikipedia entry)

Grilled Pork Banh Mi - Actually come to think about it, the article mentioned this as the banh mi to try if you're new to it. And I'd agree with that. It's not that it was bad at all; they actually grilled the pork in front of us. It's just that the marinated pork was the main flavor (with hints of fish sauce), giving it a more simple taste:


House Special Banh Mi - I rather liked this. The "cold-cut" meats gave the sandwich more complex and varied flavors. To give you an idea, one of the cold-cuts tasted like Chinese fish balls.


Both of the sandwiches came with carrots, cilantro, jalapenos, fish sauce, and cucumber. And like most banh mi I've tasted, the buns were a lot lighter than most buns than I have.

All in all, I'm really excited this place opened and I can't wait to go back to try out their other offerings.

I will note one thing. Q.T. Sandwiches reminded me of a small Chinese restaurant called Queen's Cafe in Somerville, MA, which closed probably not 6 months after it opened. Queen's Cafe was run by one older Chinese lady, who cooked your order right at a stove behind the counter. She clearly was just cooking the dishes she'd cook at home and I loved the place, but I suspect it was the business costs and lack of demand that caused the demise of Queen's Cafe.

The banh mi at Q.T. Sandwiches were made by a woman and what looked to be her daughter. And I just got the same homey vibe from this place as from Queen's Cafe. However, I'm hoping the same business woes don't happen to Q.T. Sandwiches, so if you're in the Chinatown area, go try this place out.

Or try them even if you're not in the area. I forgot to mention that they cater and deliver.

Q.T. Vietnamese Sandwich
48 N. 10th St. (Map)
267-639-4520
Catering, Delivering

Hours: Daily, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
Menu

No comments:

Post a Comment