Friday, February 20, 2009

Is it still fresh or not?

I just stumbled upon this site, StillTasty.com which seems to be going for the one-stop-shop place on how long ingredients will stay fresh. I think this is a great idea, but it's still a little limited at this point to refrigerator and freezer tips.
It's lacking tips unique to prolonging the freshness of each ingredient, ala Real Simple and their useful article on keeping vegetables or tips on Chowhound videos.

I suppose this is the best place to put a tip of my own. I recently found out that one of the best ways to keep scallions fresh is to put them in a vase/bottle of water and continue growing them. You need to refill the water pretty every day or every other day to prevent bacteria from growing, but so far, my scallions last a heck of a lot longer than they used to in the fridge.



(I'm still unsure why some tips seem to dry out, while others seem to grow fine)


What are your tips for keeping things fresh?

($Cooking)

No comments:

Post a Comment