Monday, February 23, 2009

Flan - Not an unmitigated disaster


I feel like an utter idiot for blogging about making flan from a mix. I mean if a blogger I regularly read, wrote about making jello from a mix, well I'd probably buy myself a dog, just so that I could watch him lick his own balls instead.

For those of you who fall into that category, here's a video of a dog playing with his balls (don't worry, it's not nearly as bad as you envision :P).

Anyways, my one and only point. I've never caramelized sugar before. I didn't know how long it's supposed to take, what happens when it caramelizes, etc. And seeing my sugar clump up and harden into a rock hard texture at the bottom of my bowls that seemed like it was going to be hell cleaning up. Well it just gave me the terrible feeling that I had gone and completely and utterly screwed up flan from a box.

I've got a term for cooking events such as this: an unmitigated disaster in the making. It's where you manage to screw up a dish on every level possible: taste, texture, smell, etc and you can smell the train wreck fumes from a mile away.

Anyways, to make a long pointless story short, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the flan actually turned out fine. It's of course flan from a box so it's nothing special flavor-wise (that and it looks like a decomposing piece of cheese), but it's kind of nice having dishes turn out that you've lost hope on.



So question of the day: what's your unmitigated disaster or averted disaster story?


PS. I'm certainly not advocating anyone go out and buy this, but I thought a random and utterly useless fyi was in order to match my random and utterly pointless blog post. Amazon sells these Goya Flan mixes in Packs of 36. Just fyi in case you need flan for your post-apocalypse emergency kit.

($Cooking)

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to make flan. But the whole caramel making process gives me the creeps. I tried once and failed.

    ReplyDelete