Saturday, February 07, 2009

Erawan : Philadelphia

I was massively disappointed to read that the chef responsible for real Thai meals at Erawan had left a few years ago.

But alas, I always need a Thai fix now and then, so my gf and I went in to try out Erawan's cheap lunch specials...

... and was left even more disappointed.

From start to finish, the dishes were not only Americanized, but also generic and bland. From the salads with their sweetened orange dressings to the pineapple drink with an umbrella to the Tom Yum soup, all was simply forgettable. I'm sorry, I don't even want to go back and figure out what we ordered.







Particularly befuddling is that one block away is Smile Cafe, which has a more charming and cozy interior, fresher and tastier food and a damn cute name to top it off. Isn't competition supposed to bring out the best in restaurants?

Bleh, sorry Erawan, but Smile Cafe is my go-to Thai place.


Erawan
123 S 23rd St, Philadelphia, PA‎ (Map)
(215) 567-2542
Yelp

1 comment:

  1. you must have been in on an off day. erawan is much better than smile, which has generally blah curries.

    ReplyDelete