Monday, February 02, 2009

Ching Po Leung Soup


Le sigh. So the other day, I made one of my favorite Chinese soups, Ching Po Leung (清补凉) and took a bunch of pictures showing what goes into the soup. And then promptly forgot to take a picture of the final product before my gf and I gulped it all down... three days later. Derr, my memory is astonishingly incredible these days.

Well next time I make it I'll update this posting so you can see what it turns out like, but in the meantime, here's the incredibly simple recipe:

Ching Po Leung Soup
  • 1 Ching po leung soup mix (commonly found in a Chinese grocery store)
  • 1 whole bird of your choice (duck is what I go for, but a chicken or just chicken drumsticks or pork with bone works as well)
  • Pot of water
Thoroughly rinse out each of the dried ingredients in the soup mix and put them in the pot of water. Cut any skin off of the meat and stick them in the pot. Boil on medium-low and stir occasionally until the meat bones have gotten a chance to give make the water a stock/broth. Brilliant!

Here are pictures below for further explanation:

This is what one brand of the ching po leung soup mix looks like. (Note: I think my parents had specifically brought this back from Hong Kong, so don't be too surprised if you can't find this exact package in your local store.)


And individual packs of: dried longan and umm, despite the English ingredient list, I don't actually know the names of the rest of these ingredients.



White jelly fungus - hmm, it definitely has a better taste/texture than its English name. The texture reminds me of wood ear mushrooms, which I suppose doesn't help if you've never had that either.


Loads of purported health benefits from these ingredients. Don't ask me if it's true, I only eat the soup, because I find it delicious, particularly on a cold winter's day.


I'll do my best to cook this again and show picture of how the final product turns out.

($Chinese, $Cooking)

1 comment:

  1. thx I was looking for this :P I have bought the mix and didn't know what to do with it :)

    ReplyDelete