Monday, January 26, 2009

Mexican Junk Food

It's like being a kid again, going into a gas station convenience store in Mexico and meandering down the snack aisle, because you know everything will be slightly to majorly different than the snacks in the U.S.

Marinela Principe
Crackers with chocolate filling. That essentially what these boil down to.



I feel like these is an old concept, but I am having trouble recalling a well-known American equivalent of these. The only thing I can think of are Hit Cookies, which are also quite good, but European if I recall correctly.


Anyhow, there's a nice balance between cracker and chocolate filling taste. And the chocolate is surprisingly mellow, meaning that I can pop a bunch of these before feeling sugar-loaded or full.

I should make a random note that these ziploc bags keep these crackers surprisingly dry and crunchy.

Other random notes:
Marinela is essentially like the Nabisco of the Latin American world. They're a sub-brand of Grupo Bimbo (wikipedia), which introduced sliced bread to the world and which apparently is the 4th largest food corporation in the world, behind Unilever, Sara Lee and Nestle.

Apparently, certain locations ofWalmart sell Marinela Principe, but beyond that, I've no clue where to buy these, except possibly some Mexican grocery stores. Some online stores sell some of Marinela's other baked products, such as Mex Grocer and Mexcart.


Mafer Japonese Peanuts
If you're Asian or have been exposed to Asian snacks, these guys might seem pretty familiar. They're usually available in Asian supermarkets and according to comments on this blog, they're called peanut crackers (what I've seen), iso peanuts or shoyu peanuts.

The versions in Mexico seem identical to the Asian ones I've tried, except with different flavorings. The ones I bought have a powdered lemon flavoring, but I also saw some chili flavored ones too.



I was pretty surprised at how prevalent these were. On some of my AeroMexico flights, instead of getting bags of peanuts, I got bags of these Japonese Tostado.

As for where you can get them, presumably you can buy them at Mexican markets as well as MexicanSpecialties. As for the Asian variety, you can buy them at Asian markets as well as CrackseedCenter


Cheetos Torciditos
Even familiar snacks, such as Cheetos, have a Mexican twist to them. They put a more tart lime flavoring on them. You can try them out at MyMexicanPantry.com


Crackets
These guys are similar to Ritz crackers, except with a wheatier taste.


Unfortunately, all of my crackets had been reduced to crumbs, so no pictures;
--> I lied, here's a pic.

but just for kicks, I've included a Crackets tv commercial below:

1 comment:

  1. You can also find them on http://www.alegrofoods.com/ they are great!

    ReplyDelete