Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cajeta : Mexican Sweet Dessert Sauce

While in Mexico, I was introduced to a sweet caramel/dulce de leche like type dessert sauce called cajeta. Unlike Dulce de leche, which uses cow's milk and sugar, cajeta is made by slow-cooking goat's milk and sugar, until it reaches its final delicious thick, brown state. The cajeta that I tried in Mexico, which I'm not sure was home-made or not, almost tasted like a complex butterscotch with a thick caramel texture. You apply it similarly to how Nutella is used: i.e. just about on anything, like crackers, fruits, ice cream, pizza, straight up off of a spoon, etc.

Anyhow, I ended up buying a bottle of the stuff in a grocery store. Not knowing some of the Spanish words at the time, I ended up buying the wine-flavored cajeta, which has a taste like stronger and more complex condensed milk.


Being back, it's certainly been a treat having this stuff around to remind me of my time in Mexico. My gf, who despite not being in Mexico with me, has fallen in love with this stuff. Needless to say, this stuff has gone quickly. It's been a bit over a week since I've been back and I'm already about half-way done with the bottle.

Anyways, poking around the web, people say that home-made cajeta is far superior to the store bought stuff. So when I do run out (perhaps in 3 days?!?) I think I'll try my hand at making this stuff.

Here are the two recipes that I would try:
· MyMexicanRecipes
· HomeSickTexan

And if you're still a little wary and want to try cajeta before you spend your time making the stuff, you can purchase bottles at Mexgrocer.com:
· Plain Flavored Cajeta
· Wine Flavored Cajeta
· Vanilla Flavored Cajeta

Hmm. All this talk about cajeta... I think I'll take another hit of the stuff on some crackers now.

1 comment:

  1. I found this recipe for Cajeta.

    Mexican Cajeta (Makes: 4 cups)
    (carmel candy/sauce))

    Ingredients
    2 cups milk ¼ tsp. baking soda
    3 cups sugar 1 small cinnamon stick

    Directions
    1.In a saucepan, combine 1 quart of the milk with the sugar and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture turns golden.

    2.In the remaining quart of milk, stir in the soda and place in another saucepan.

    3.Add the cinnamon stick and bring to boil.

    4.Discard the cinnamon and add the hot milk very gradually to the caramel mixture, stirring constantly.

    5.When all the milk is incorporated, place over a low heat and cook very slowly until the mixture is thick like melted caramel.

    6.Cool slightly; then pour into a glass container and chill.

    7.Please note that the “cooking times” and “yield” are approximate.


    ReplyDelete