Saturday, November 15, 2008

Everyday Good House : Philadelphia

Both Philadining and Philly Inquirer's Craig Laban had positive things to say about Everyday Good House, so when there was a necessity to rent a car for some separate errands, I suggested that my gf and I take the trip out of the city to try this place out.

Oh boy. So, let me just get this aside out there first. Honestly, I felt really really uncomfortable driving to Everyday Good House.

I'll preface this by saying that we decided to drive up Broad St instead of taking the highway to avoid rush-hour traffic. We ended up driving through sections of North Philadelphia, which clearly is still economically down on its luck (See Wikipedia for more info).

Seeing run-down buildings and desperation in the faces of people on the street, all while you're driving to eat at a nice restaurant to take photos of food and write your thoughts in a blog... well there was a bit of cognitive dissonance to say the least. And even now, on some level, it seems ridiculous to transition to a light-hearted food review, which I tend to like to do.

I guess my intention in bringing this anecdote up is for three reasons: 1) To give you more insight into my particular mindset that day, 2) To give more info on the surroundings of the restaurant, which I believe influences the chefs and the food at the restaurant and 3) To remind fellow foodies that it's easy to remain in your safe comfort zone and to forget about the real world.

Whew.

Now as for the food. I wish I could say that it was worth the thought-provoking drive, but at the end of the day, I thought it was only okay.

Side dishes:



Kalbi Barbecue: Having real charcoal was nice and the meat was a little more subtle in taste than you generally get at a Korean Bbq. But having had a great experience in Soot Bull Jeep in LA, where the meat was juicy and bursting in flavor, this just didn't quite compare.


Saengseon jjigae - I asked the waitress to recommend a jjigae (a Korean stew) and I believe this is the name of what she gave us. It had fish roe and cabbage in the stew and I can't say that I was a fan. The stew had a sharp, somewhat metallic taste to it and I just was not in the mood for the dry/powdery texture of the cooked fish roe.


I have certainly never seen purple rice before and I must say that it was pretty good: moist and with an almost wheat like heaviness to it. I was a fan.


A salad that accompanied the kalbi bbq, that had a paprika dressing. We weren't sure whether to put this into our lettuce stalk along with the beef or to eat this by itself. Either way, it was pretty tasty.


I wish I could whole-heartedly recommend this place. The drive there was eye-opening and the interior of the restaurant was large, aesthically pleasing and clean. And to top it off, there was a karaoke place next door. But at the end of the day, I just didn't find the food there worth driving out of your way for.


Everyday Good House (Chez Tae Yun)
5501 N Front St Philadelphia, PA 19120 (map)
215-276-7942

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy your blog. It is very detailed and well thought out. I really enjoy the pictures of each dish - who likes a cook book with out pictures?!?!

    Can you take a look at my blog and tell me what you think. It has only been in the works for a couple of weeks but I would like your feedback.

    Thank you
    -AJT

    ReplyDelete