Thursday, October 02, 2008

Santa Ramen : San Mateo

I think some friends might name their left nut after this ramen shop.

Perhaps they wouldn't quite word it like that, they being uber sophisticated tech-saavy SF hipsters and all. Actually, they'd probably create some new web 2.0 website, mashing food blogging, video, twitter and yelp, called fvwittelp and exclaim "I totally <3 Santa Ramen" as their status message.

But you get my point. They've got that devoted, passionate loyalty for this place.


And umm, I don't quite get it. I mean I'm a total noob when it comes to Ramen, but I went here twice. I ordered the same thing, soy sauce ramen. And both times, the bamboo shoots and pork slices in the ramen are cold. Like straight out of the refridgerator cold. While the broth was relatively hot and I could submerge my meat and bamboo to warm them up, is this really supposed to be like this?

Admittedly, besides the cold ingredients, the stuff is pretty decent. I must say that I didn't find myself nearly as enthralled with it as I was with the ramen I got at Oidon (see previous link), which had a fabulously fattier and more homemade/slowcooked tasting broth. However, the ramen here tastes like it has been through a lengthy refinement process and was consistent in taste the two times that I went.

Beer.
Edamame.
Another Soy Sauce Ramen.
Certainly I would not complain if we had a santa ramen in Philadelphia near where I lived. Nosiree.

But I'm going to refrain from naming my left nut after it...

... and no, I'm not going to start the website, fvwittelp.com, either.


Santa Ramen
1944 S El Camino Real
San Mateo, CA 94403
(650) 344-5918
Yelp | Chowhound | Jatbar

No comments:

Post a Comment