Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fried Milk

I'm a bit confounded. To explain:

I was just forwarded a NYtimes article on fried milk (!).

First of all, I've never heard of fried milk before and the thought of deep-frying a liquid was tremendously befuddling to me. It was kind of like the first time I heard about fried ice cream.

But. But. Won't it melt when you deep fry it?

NYTimes includes a couple of recipes of fried milk dishes (Garlic Fried Milk, Crema Fritta); they're essentially frying a custard, not liquid milk. (Not that I really know how to do that either)

But more strange is the fact that fried milk dishes can found in China, specifically in the Cantonese-speaking regions. Wha? Really? Why haven't I already tried this? That's as big as a blow to my ego as when immigrants have a better working knowledge of the U.S. political system or geography than me.

If you haven't gone ahead to the NYtimes article, here's some random dude's (madkazooer) photo of fried milk in China:


(As an aside, when I was searching for fried milk pictures, I stumbled upon these photos from Beijing. Man, those pictures make me hungry)

In any case, fried milk dishes can also apparently be found in Spain, Italy and India. Has anyone tried fried milk before (from any of the different cultures) or know of where to try this in the U.S.?

($Chinese, $Cooking, $Dessert, $Indian)

1 comment:

  1. I had fried milk as a sweet "dessert" several times during the time I lived in Nanjing, in Jiangsu province near Shanghai. It was a huge crowd pleaser for any/all Westerners that I've ever seen try this rich, sweet, simply delicious compliment to a Chinese banquet. Locals like it less because sugary sweet foods are a bit foreign to their palate.

    ReplyDelete