Monday, June 16, 2008

Taqueria Los Charros : Mountain View

The East Coast gets dissed for having a lack of good Mexican food, especially by native Californians, many of whom claim Cali as having the best Mexican food in US.

Well, being an East Coaster, this gets my goat a bit. Granted, I found the Mexican food in the Boston area just wasn't so great. But after having some damn solid Salvadoran, Puerto Rican and Peruvian food in Hartford, an area that most would dismiss as a cultural wasteland, and some crack-like addictive Mexican food in Philadelphia, I'm wondering whether these same people are just smug by ignorance or whether there's any truth to their claim.

So with this in mind, during one of my first days in the Bay area, I picked out a random restaurant, Taqueria Los Charros, in downtown Mountain View and ordered myself a carne asada super burrito. As you can see from the photo, the thing is pretty darn large, dwarfing my ball-point pen.


I also ordered a side of rice and beans. Because I was staying in a hotel room by myself and I could damn well stink up the room with sulfuric gases if I damn well pleased.

So how was it?

Well, let's just say that I'm still looking for proof of the argument. The ingredients in the burrito were obviously fresh, which made the burrito slightly better than what's available at the average Mexican joint on the East Coast. But that's kind of to be expected from the plentitude of fresh produce around the area. What was disappointing was that taste-wise, the entire meal was just very meh.

I'll continue hunting around for a place. There is a huge Mexican population in the area and there certainly are a lot of Mexican restaurants anywhere you go. So surely, there must be *some* truth to the argument, right?

Taqueria Los Charros
854 W. Dana St. Mountain View, CA 94041
650-969-1464

No comments:

Post a Comment