Saturday, June 07, 2008

Tastykake : Philadelphia

I was intrigued when I first heard of Tastykake snacks. It's a local Philadelphia company that has been around since 1914 and that makes a range of snacks similar to Hostess Cakes (maker of Twinkies) and Little Debbie. Here's the wikipedia entry on Tastykake and a few interesting tidbits from the entry:
  • Rapper Kool Keith proclaimed "I am the fire and brains will burn and bake, like a Tastykake" in the song "Kool Keith Model Android #406."

  • On Bastille Day, a woman dressed as Marie Antoinette throws approximately 2,000 Tastykakes from a tower of the Eastern State Penitentiary to the audience below, while shouting, "Let them eat Tastykake!"
Now I should mention that Twinkies and all that other snack-food brings a nauseating feeling to my stomach when I think about it. If you couldn't tell already, I don't tolerate really sweet snacks and particulary detest mass-produced snacks. But I thought I should try it out since it seemed one of the institutions of Philadelphia.


I grabbed a Koffeekake and admit I was a bit surprised. The cake itself was a lot lighter and less greasy than I expected. It also wasn't overwhelmingly sweet. I took issue with the little coffee-flavored nibblets on top, which were kind of nasty in a mysterious what-the-crap-is-this kind of way. Overall, I don't think I'll be buying this stuff as regular snacks, but it didn't come anywhere close to say retch-inducing Ding-dongs or other crap like that.

So Tastykake's most well-known product is their Butterscotch Krimpet, which apparently even presidential candidate, Barack Obama tried out when he visited. Since I have the memory of a goldfish, I had forgotten this while in the store, but perhaps next time, for completeness, I'll try that out.

Oh yeah, and just for balance, there are those who take offense with Tastykake.

3 comments:

  1. i still haven't gotten around to actually trying any tastycake products yet. :P one day, one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many of us who grew up in range of Tastykake, it was a wrench to move from the territoy. My family would have to send boxes to relatives and friends who moved away. Nothing like Little Debbie or Hostess, Tastykake is a cut above and I am happy to find them increasingly available in NYC.
    My fav? Peanut Butter KandyKakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know. I'll add PB Kandykakes to my list of to-try next time I'm in a Wawa's.

    ReplyDelete