Thursday, May 01, 2008

Corner Bakery Cookies : Philadelphia

Chocolate Chip Cookie

Judging by both the chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin, Corner bakery isn't looking to experiment too wildly with these staple cookies, but rather is looking to get the standard recipe down pat. And it doesn't fare too poorly with that. The chocolate chip cookie is a pretty passable one and one that would appeal to a broader spectrum of people. Granted it's not one you'd want to impress someone with (if there exists such a cookie), but it definitely satisfies if you're having a major cookie craving. Especially if your craving also involves chocolate too.

Which gets at my main critique. There's a good amount of chocolate in this one. The cookie batter, while not that impressive tasting, somehow also seems to have a touch too much sugar as well. Together, it tastes pretty good while you're eating, but this is largely due to the sugar high you're getting. And this is exactly what I don't want in a cookie, one that appeases the short-term cravings, but kills in the longer-term.

I'm currently crashing from that sugar high and am resisting my ever-increasing negative feeligns towards this cookie.

$1.50
7.5/10


Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

Geez, I've lost it. I've begun to smell my cookies as if they were fine wines. I'm not sure what I'm expecting: "Hmm... it's a hint of cherries, dark oak, and cookie batter?"

In any case, there's a overwhelming scent of cinnamon with this cookie and it's quite nice. It's not like that crappy artificial cinnamon scent that they spray on buses to cover up odors emanating from the bathroom in the back. (And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, consider yourself fortunate.) It's more akin to walking into a coffee store and taking that initial waft of their coffee grinds. Except that it's cinnamon.

So far as taste goes, the cookie doesn't do too badly. There's a nice balance of raisins to cookie. There isn't a over-reliance on sugary sweetness and the cinnamon adds a subtle accent to the flavor, taking it a bit beyond your normal oatmeal raisin.

The texture is a bit dry and veers much more on the crunchy than chewy side, but there's a nice thickness to it that makes for a fairly satisfying bite.

All in all, it's not an outstanding cookie, but certainly not a bad one.

$1.50
8.5/10


($Bakery, $cookies, $Philadelphia)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to find someone in Philly with as much of a cookie problem/vice as me!! It's 'cheshiresmile' here if you still remember my oatmeal raisin cookie post. :P I hate that I've abandoned my blog but hope to start up again!
    If you're still in Philly come August, let me know if you ever need a partner-in-crime for cookie venturing.
    I think the best chocolate chip cookie I've had in Philly is from Insomnia Cookies - their triple chocolate chunk is to die for.
    -Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting. More information!: Insomnia Cookies Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah, they don't deliver to center city. I wonder if I can rope one of the student groups into providing cookies from Insomnia at one of their on-campus events...

    ReplyDelete