Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Penn Bookstore Cafe Cookie : Philadelphia

Today, I'm reviewing the cookies at the cafe of the Penn Bookstore. They ran out of oatmeal raisin cookies, so it's just the choco chip cookie today.

When I initially saw this thing, I had second thoughts on whether I should buy it. First, the minefield of chocolate. Second, it looked similar to the DiBruno's cookie with the big blocks of chocolate and well, I wasn't really that big of a fan of the DiBruno's cookies. Lastly, even if it isn't from DiBruno's, it's funnily shaped, almost rectangular, which makes me suspect that they transported it from somewhere else and it got smooshed in the process. (They serve Starbucks coffee here, so it could be from Starbucks.) But I think of my fellow cookie enthusiasts, just dying to know what the best cookie in Phili is and I finally go ahead and get it... well, that and also, I had a bit of a cookie craving.

While not being as big in diameter as some of the other cookies I've had, there's a tremendous heft to the thing. And I soon found out why - the thing is tremendously greasy. I'm wiping my fingers as if I've just eaten some KFC drumsticks made from a tremendously fat chicken dipped in butter. I've taken a picture of my greasy fingers for illustrative purposes.

Tastewise, I feel like I've just been handed kiddie gloves. While the chocolate itself is okay quality, there's just way too much in quantity. The much worse part, however, is the actual cookie batter. I can't tell whether there's just too much oil in the recipe or whether it's underbaked, but there are these overly moist parts that make me feel like I'm eating raw cookie batter. Either way, I'm looking at the second half of the cookie and I don't really want to eat any more.

Oof, I feel like I'm on a bit of a cookie slump here.

3/10, $1.50

Penn Bookstore Cafe
3601 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 898-7595
($cookies, $Dessert, $Philadelphia)

No comments:

Post a Comment