Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hope's Cookies : Philadelphia

Chocolate Chip Cookie
Le sigh. I've gone and become the thing I didn't want to become before I started this whole cookie tasting adventure.

That's right. A cookie snob.

One bite was all it took to know that this cookie wasn't up to the level I'm used to. I felt like the critic from Ratatouille: "I don't LIKE food, I LOVE it. If I don't LOVE it, I don't SWALLOW."

It wasn't that the cookie was bad - it was just... very mediocre. It tasted like generic soft-baked store brand cookies with a bit of home baking, with much more weight on the store bought part.

And I feel slightly bad about this assessment, because just judging from the sign, Hope's Cookies sounds like it's that classic entrepreneur story: started by some quirky perseverant woman with a passion for cookies. I mean, the sign has a heart for an apostrophe; if that doesn't shout non-corporate, cute and made-with-love, I don't know what does.

I should also mention that I got these cookies indirectly. They were being sold at the PA General Store stand in the Reading Terminal Market. So I guess I'll give Hope the benefit of the doubt until I get a chance to taste the cookies direct. But as for these choco chip cookies at the PA General Store, do yourself a favor, wander on over to the other side of the Market, and get yourself some cookies at the Famous 4th Street Cookies.

4/10 (PA General Store. Hope's Cookies)

Oatmeal Raisin
This is a strange one. Not only is it quite small (1 1/2 inch diameter), especially comparing it to the monstrous-sized cookies I've gotten used to, but the whole time I was thinking that the taste reminded me of a certain other baked good.

Was it one of those sugar ice cream cones?
Hmm, kind of, but no.

A sugar cookie?
No.

Aha! On the last bite, I finally figured it out.

It tastes like a Christmas gingerbread cookie with raisins in it, light on the ginger, but reminiscent no less. And while I do like those cookies, adding raisins to them, well I'm not such a big fan.

5/10

Hope's Cookies @ PA General Store stand
Reading Terminal Market
12th & Arch St. Philadelphia, PA
($Bakery, $cookies, $Dessert, $Philadelphia)

3 comments:

  1. Hope's cookies are such a farse. I agree with the comment above. Overpriced, without merit. The owner is a frightening soul too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope's cookies: What a rip off. After paying an excessive amount for a dozen cookies....I was charged extra for a box!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopes Cookies are the best!!! The owner is a true entrepreneur...who started her business from scratch (no pun intended). You must try them again!! I think you will love them

    ReplyDelete