Sunday, March 02, 2008

Exploding Pissing Pork Buns

So I made steamed ground pork buns this weekend. Besides the different innards, the buns are supposed to be like those bbq pork buns (cha siu bao) that you get in dimsum. You know all white, fluffy and stuff. There's an image below if you need a refresher.


(Image from about.com)

Well, as I haven't made these in some time, despite the flour package specifying exactly how long I should steam them buns, I got a little paranoid that I hadn't cooked them long enough. Also, I forgot when I started steaming them. Oops. But really, what could go wrong with over-steaming buns? Well, I found out:



Do you see that sheen? That's a physical trait indicating that the buns are now rubbery and will make your head bob up and down as you attempt to bite them... and I've got twelve of these babies to plow through by myself. Oh boy.

Actually, it kind of reminds me of the pissing beef beef balls from God of Cookery, minus the pissing and the great taste:


($Chinese, $Cooking, $Snacks)

No comments:

Post a Comment