Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Famous 4th Street Cookie Co. Review

Double Chocolate Chip Cookie
I think I will be using this cookie as the standard to which other chocolate cookies will be compared. I'm not saying that this cookie is the best, but I think its recipe is fairly close to a home-made chocolate chip cookie recipe and would probably appeal to the greatest number of people.

It's around 3" in diameter (apologies for no pictures of the entire picture - had to split it in half to share) and about 1/2" thick. I find the thickness in particular is just an ideal size for a superb texture: nice and crunchy outside and cakey inside. As the name suggests, there's a good amount of milk chocolate chips, but the chocolate to cookie ratio is actually fairly balanced. I kind of wish they pushed the recipe to use a darker chocolate, but as it is, I suspect the recipe appeals to a broad range of people, tasting reminscent of home-made chocolate chip cookies, except with all the kinks hammered out. This cookie is a solid choice for the "I've had a bad day and just want a cookie to relax" occassions. I'd give it a 8.5/10.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookie
The oatmeal raisin is a damn good cookie. It's about 3" in diameter and 1/2" in thickness and like its chocolate chip brethren, the thickness is what gives the cookie a very pleasing texture. While its recipe is also fairly conservative, it is slightly less so than the choco chip. I think I might hope for a slightly nuttier taste and texture, but as it stands, this cookie is quite solid: not too sweet of cookie dough and raisins.

Let's just say that if I were to be forced to eat this cookie everyday for the rest of my life, I wouldn't complain. 9.0/10



Famous 4th Street Cookie Company
Reading Terminal Market (And cookies available online)
12th & Arch St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107 (Map)
www.famouscookies.com
www.readingterminalmarket.org
($cookies, $Philadelphia, $Recommended, $Dessert)

No comments:

Post a Comment