Wednesday, February 13, 2008

DiBruno Bro's Cookies

This is the first of my reviews of cookies, in my pursuit to ferret out the best chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies of Philadelphia.

Chocolate Chip Cookie
The DiBruno's chocolate chip (or I should say chocolate chunk) cookie is a pretty hefty cookie, 5 inches in diameter, and has huge visible blocks of semi-sweet chocolate, which is good considering it's $1.99.

>edit<(Original: Unfortunately it was a bit disappointing. The best way I can describe the texture is that I can imagine it originally having a nice baked-in crunch, but had moistrure seep in, so that now it's dense, dry and hard on the jaws. To be fair, I did buy this at the end of the day, an hour before closing, but I would hope that a cookie would hold up for a day.)

In addition, while the chocolate was okay quality (and not too sweet), I'm not such a big fan of encountering those huge chunks of chocolate. It just overwhelmed me when I got a biteful of those big blocks. If perhaps they had gone for smaller chocolate chips and had a more balanced cookie/chocolate ratio, I would have enjoyed it more, as the cookie itself was pretty tasty.

DiBruno's Chocolate Chip cookie: 7 (4.5 unheated)/10
Price: $1.99





Oatmeal Raisin Cookie
The DiBruno's oatmeal raisin cookie fairs slightly better than its chocolate chunk brethren. It has a respectable texture, a balance of the crunchy oatmeal with moister cookie batter and raisins. In terms of taste, there's a slightly overly sweet aftertaste, as if there was a touch too much brown sugar in the mix. However, my main complaint about the cookie is that it's just not that memorable of a cookie. It tastes decently, but there's just nothing that unique about the recipe or its texture that makes it pop like the oatmeal raisin cookie I had at Hot & Crusty Bakery in New York.

DiBruno's Oatmeal Raisin cookie: 5/10
Price: $1.99









DiBruno Bros.
1730 Chestnut St Philadelphia, PA 19103
(215) 665-9220
Dibruno.com
($cookies, $Philadelphia, $Dessert)

1 comment: