Saturday, February 23, 2008

Bassett's Ice Cream


Based on recommendations to that Bassett's is a must try ice cream shop (Chowhound's Philly Top Five Conversation for example), I was a bit disappointed by the ice cream here. We ordered two scoops, the strawberry and pistachio and both were not that impressive. The pistachio was just not good - overly sweet and simple not in a good way. It was nice that they had real pistachios in the ice cream, but it was not enough to compensate for my complaints. The strawberry was better. Again, there was real strawberries which I appreciated. And I should note that the ice cream was very creamy, which I don't think I'm much of a fan of, but others might be. But again, I think it was the sweetness, this dumbing down of flavor, which I was really opposed to.

In the end, I think we're probably going to stick with the gelato at Capogiro's.

Dutch Eating Place
Reading Terminal Market
12th & Arch St
Philadelphia, PA 19107 (map)
www.readingterminalmarket.org/merchants/view/12
($Dessert, $Philadelphia)

No comments:

Post a Comment