Saturday, April 22, 2006

Cakes

I was looking through some notes of mine and stumbled upon a note from a few years back on ideas of where to get a birthday cake for a friend.

We ended up getting a chocolate cake from Rosie's Bakery:

Rosie's Bakery
243 Hampshire Street
Cambridge, MA 02139

I was rather impressed by it. Perhaps it was just that I was used to chocolate cake made from a cake mix, which tends to much too sweet for me, but at the time, the cake was not too sweet, but still very tasty. Maybe I'll revisit Rosie's for a cake at some other time.

The other idea I had was to get a cake with fruit from Chinatown. My mom way back when used to do this for some of my brother's and my birthdays. Anyways, I had copied a comment or an article from somewhere up on the web (I can't find the original source at the moment), but here it is:

Something Sweet
Even visiting the bakery can be an adventure in Chinatown. Chinese bakeries usually come in 2 kinds (although they sometimes mix them): those specializing in buns, and those whose specialty is baking cakes. The former offers a wide variety of buns, which can be steamed or baked, and stuffed with all kinds of delicious fillings, from roast pork to lotus seed paste. Some can be a meal by themselves.

Chinese cakes offer refreshingly different kinds of sweet indulgences. The cakes are light and airy, frosted with whipped cream, and often covered with decorations consisting of mango, kiwi, peaches, strawberries or pineapple. Once they try this kind of less-sweet cakes, people generally declare, "That’s my favorite cake!"

One of our favorite Chinese bun bakeries is Hing Shing Bakery at the corner of Beach and Hudson Streets. May’s Cake House on Harrison Avenue is a great place to order a deliciously different birthday cake.

by Stella Chin


($Chinese)

No comments:

Post a Comment